Makes 4 servings
1 ½ pounds skinless chicken breast
8 cups water
8 thyme sprigs
½ to 1 1/2 tablespoons turmeric (adjust to your taste)
2 large celery stalks chopped
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots
1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
- Add chicken, water, 6 sprigs thyme, turmeric, celery, salt and pepper to medium stock pot over high heat.
- Bring mixture to boil for about 20 minutes (after 20 minutes, check chicken with meat thermometer…165 degrees F is adequate). Shut off heat, cover pot, and let sit for one hour.
- Remove chicken breast and shred
- Add carrots to broth, put heat back on high and boil for 5 minutes or until carrots are fork tender.
- Add in shredded chicken and cooked rice and reduce heat to simmer.
- Skim out sprigs of thyme.