This is a quick and easy recipe to help you incorporate more vegetables into your diet, starting at breakfast when this may be a challenge. Eating this mini quiche – hot or cold – on a whole grain sandwich thin or with a piece of fruit will start your day off with protein, vegetables, and either a serving of whole grains or fruit, making this an ideal breakfast choice.
Yields 12 mini quiches
- 8 ounces baby portabella mushrooms
- 1 medium leek
- 1⁄2 medium red pepper
- 1⁄2 medium green pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 eggs
- 7 egg whites
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot sauce
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Sauté mushrooms for 2-3 minutes in a pan sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat.
- Add leeks, peppers and garlic and sauté for another 5-7 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn off heat and put aside to semi-cool.
- Beat together eggs, milk, paprika, and hot sauce.
- Spray a muffin pan and pour egg mixture in muffin tins filling them 3/4 of the way full.
- Then add the vegetable mixture to each one and top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 for approximately 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Eat immediately or cool on cooling rack and store in the fridge.
- To re-heat put them on high in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute or in the toaster oven on 400 degrees for 7-10 minutes.
Nutrition: Calories per serving: 58.3, Total fat: 2.2 g, Saturated fat: 0.9 g, Cholesterol: 49.4 mg, Total carbohydrate: 4 g, Protein: 5.8 g