This nutrient-packed dish can be made easily on a weekday. It is great for people with dietary restrictions, as it is dairy free, vegan, and can be made with gluten free pasta to be Celiac safe! Pair it with a fresh garden salad to make a balanced meal.
Prep Time: 22 minutes Cook Time 18 minutes Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta, such as penne or ziti
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 3 cups (1 small butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: Chopped parsley and parmesan cheese, for topping (omit for dairy free)
- Boil a large pot of water on your stove top. Peel and dice a small butternut squash. Place the pieces of squash in the pot, and boil until the squash is tender, about 15 to 18 minutes.
- While that boils, remove the stems and seeds from the pepper. Coarsely chip it, and add it t the boiling water about 3 to 4 minutes before the squash is done.
- In another pot, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Place the tender squash, peppers, olive oil, minced garlic, salt pepper, and almond milk in a blender. Blend until a thick sauce forms. Add more milk if you would like a thinner sauce.
Nutrition Facts: Calories 283, Calories from Fat 63, Total Fat 7g, Saturated Fat 1g, Monounsaturated Fat 4g, Polyunsaturated Fat 0.5g, Sodium 30mg, Potassium 253mg, Total Carbohydrate 45g, Fiber 11g, Protein 10g, Vitamin C 31%