Try creating some new traditions this holiday season by incorporating some new heart healthy recipes.
10 servings; ½ cup per serving
- 2 cups whole grain cereal
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup almonds, unsalted ½ cup walnuts, unsalted
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ cup raisins, no sugar added
- ½ cup dried cranberries, no sugar added
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Mix cereal, oats, almonds, walnuts, cinnamon, and nutmeg together in a large bowl. Stir water and vanilla extract into the oat mixture; spread onto a baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven, stirring every 15 minutes, until golden brown and crunchy, about 30 minutes; transfer to a bowl. Stir in raisins and cranberries.
- Store in airtight container.
NUTRITION FACTS (Per serving)
Calories: 149, Total Fat: 7.0 g. Saturated Fa: 0.5 g, Trans Fat: 0.0 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2.5 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg. Sodium: 33 mg, Carbohydrates: 20 g, Dietary Fiber: 4 g, Total Sugars: 6 g, Protein: 4 g, Dietary Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 fat
Green Bean Salad Vinaigrette
Consider trying this green bean salad instead of the typical calorie laden green bean casserole.
12 servings; ½ cup per serving
- 1 quart water for fresh green beans or ¼ cup for frozen 1 pound fresh or frozen green beans
- 1½ tablespoon raspberry vinegar or red or white wine vinegar
- ¾ to 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon finely snipped fresh thyme or 1½ teaspoon dried, crumbled
- ½ teaspoon finely snipped fresh parsley or 1½ teaspoon dried, crumbled
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ½ medium garlic clove, minced
- ¼ cup canola or corn oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¹/₈ teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut lengthwise into thin strips
- ½ to 1 small red onion, cut lengthwise into thin strips
- ¼ teaspoon grated lemon zest
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil over high heat. Add the beans. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with cold water. When the beans are ready, drain them in a colander, then plunge them into the cold water to stop the cooking process and cool quickly. Once the beans are cold, drain well and pat dry with paper towels.
- While the beans are cooling, in a separate large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, thyme, parsley, honey, and garlic. Slowly whisk in the oil, continuing to whisk until thoroughly combined. Whisk in the salt and pepper.
- Add the green beans, bell pepper, and onion to the vinegar mixture. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Just before serving, sprinkle with the lemon zest.
NUTRITION FACTS (Per serving)
Calories Per Serving: 29, Total Fat: 1.0 g, Saturated Fat: 0 g, Trans Fat: 0 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: .5 g, Monounsaturated Fat: .5 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Sodium: 52 mg, Carbohydrate: 4 g, Fiber: 2 g, Sugar: 1 g, Protein: 1 g, Dietary Exchanges: 1 vegetable Exchange