Looking for an easy, healthy, portable meal that includes ingredients you love? Then, make a Do-it-yourself (DIY) bowl! Making a DIY Bowl is quick and easy since there is no set recipe; you can customize it based on your food preferences and/or on what you have on hand! Just follow these simple rules:
- Include a whole grain or starchy vegetable choice
- Pick a protein
- Load it up with vegetables
- Top it off with flavors that you love
Here are some ideas for ingredients:
1. Whole Grain/Starchy Vegetable Options (add about a 1/2 to 2/3 of a cup, cooked)
– Brown rice
-Sweet potato (cubed or sliced)
-Butternut squash (cubed)
2. Protein Options
– Beans (garbanzo, black, pinto, kidney, soybeans) or lentils
– Chicken (use a rotisserie chicken for convenience)
– Fish or shellfish (any kind, canned wild tuna or salmon are convenient options)
– Pork tenderloin
– Lean beef like sliced filet or sirloin or even extra lean ground beef
– Egg like 1-2 hard boiled eggs
Load up on as many as you want; the more, the better!
– Greens like spring mix, baby kale, spinach, etc.
– Roasted, sautéed or steamed veggies
– Raw veggies
4. Flavor Options
Top with any flavor you enjoy like a small amount of olive oil, some balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, lemon or lime juice, hot sauce, teriyaki sauce, peanut sauce, etc.