Toss the canned soups (some of which can be sky-high in sodium) and try these quick and easy homemade soup recipes to warm you up this winter!
Southwestern Chicken and White Bean Soup
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 Tablespoon Mrs. Dash Taco seasoning
- 28 ounces of fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can cannellini beans or other white beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup green salsa
- Optional: dollop of Greek yogurt and chopped cilantro to top
- Combine chicken and taco seasoning; toss well to coat. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken; sauté 2 minutes or until chicken is lightly browned. Add broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits.
- Place beans in a small bowl; mash until only a few whole beans remain. Add beans and salsa to pan, stirring well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes or until slightly thick. Serve with Greek yogurt and cilantro, if desired.
Chicken Escarole Soup
- 1(14 1/2-ounce) can Italian-style stewed tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 1(14-ounce) can fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cupchopped cooked chicken breast
- 2 cupscoarsely chopped escarole (about 1 small head)
- 2 teaspoonsextra-virgin olive oil
- Combine tomatoes and broth in a large saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low; simmer 5 minutes. Add chicken, escarole, and oil; cook 5 minutes.
Spicy Tomato and White Bean Soup
- 1(14-ounce) can fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 teaspoonschili powder
- 1 teaspoonground cumin
- 1(16-ounce) can navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1medium poblano chile, halved and seeded
- 1/2onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
- 1pint grape tomatoes
- 1/4 cupchopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoonsfresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoonextra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoonsalt
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
- Combine 1 cup broth, chili powder, cumin, and beans in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Combine remaining broth, poblano, and onion in a food processor; pulse until vegetables are chopped. Add onion mixture to pan.
- Add tomatoes and cilantro to food processor, and process until coarsely chopped. Add tomato mixture to pan; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat; stir in juice, olive oil, and salt. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.